Tuesday, December 2, 2008

An Interesting Conversation

So there are a lot of things in Slaughter House Five that remind me of The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I feel like if Tim and Kurt had a conversation it would be really interesting, and seeing as Kurt is dead (for real this time), I think I'm just gonna have to improvise.

Tim: Hey Kurt, whatcha eating?
Kurt: Three Musketeers Bar.
Tim: I knew a guy who used to eat those all the time back in Nam. Said he used 'em to keep him mellow.
Kurt: What was his name?
Tim: Fred Periwinkle.
Kurt: Did they work? To mellow him out?
Tim: Yep, right up until the day he died. Shot in the head. Taking a whiz and then Boom down. He was gone.
Kurt: So it goes.
Tim: Yea, just Boom down.
Kurt: Wow, is that true?
Tim: Does it really matter?
Kurt: Nope.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Haha I love this Abby! I continuously find connections between the two books as well. I like how you worked in quotes from both books into their "conversation." Very amusing!

Unknown said...

Boom down. Like a bag of concrete.

Nicole said...

I love the connection Abby, very creative! And ofcourse you have to have "so it goes" thrown in there..!

Mr. Kunkle said...

It occurs to me that you're brilliant, Abby.

I got curious to see if the two literary luminaries had ever met, but I couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to think that there conversation would go like this!

Abby said...

Mr. Kunkle, I believe you meant to say that THEIR conversation would go like that. Muahahahaha. Amazing.

Mr. Kunkle said...

Maybe I was bit hasty with that "brilliant" comment, Abby...

Abby said...

Maybe I was bit hasty?

I think you're missing something...
Maybe I was a bit hasty perhaps?

Shauna Ohhh said...

I really liked this! I thought it was very creative to put these together, and have these two guys interact and have a conversation! Good job! :)