Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holy Crap! I'm a Girl!

So, this is just another story about a time when I've noticed my gender in a particularly awkward way.

This one is about my self-defense class.

I used to take a self-defense class learning Commando Krav Maga.
http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=3874023586448343804

For a long time, I was the only girl who went (and even then, the only other girl we ever got while I went was a married middle-aged woman) so it was really obvious when we would spar/train/etc. It was a blast and a half, and I greatly enjoyed the class, but I could tell that I was different. I was still treated as an equal however, as everyone who went there was a stellar person, but I learned different moves because of my build, both from being short and also from being female. It made for some awkward circumstances (learning how to escape a choke hold when someone is stradling you was particularly awkward), but it was actually a situation where being noticeably different didn't result in alienation or any negative feelings.

Anyways, that's just another way I notice being a girl.

No comments: